We are an English language school in Japan. We are looking for experienced ESL writers to provide content for a unit of an ESL textbook for adult learners at the CEFR A2 level.
This job is for a single unit. Writers that show the skills we need will be invited to participate in the writing of a series of texts based on the CEFR levels totaling 150+ units.
Writers should have experience in ESL teaching and writing and a detailed knowledge of the CEFR levels and the CEFR approach to teaching. Experience teaching in Japan is preferred.
The unit, while having target language, is not grammar focussed. Instead it is focussed on skill based goals and “can do” statements. The unit should begin with several comprehension activities and progress to activities aimed at demonstrating the unit goals.
The unit will be used in the classroom. The activities should either be designed for classroom use or have extension activities so that the teacher can review the material in an interactive way in the class. The activities should be adaptable for both one-on-one classes and small groups. Total class size does not exceed 15 students.
Typical unit length for the student version is 6 pages.
An outline with the following will be provided to the writer:
- Topic with 2 goals
- Language target for the unit (grammar and vocabulary)
Writers will also be provided:
- A sample of a nearly finished unit. Pictures and diagrams are just placeholders and some teacher notes and extension activities are missing. (student and teacher versions attached)
- A sample of a writer’s work in progress with editor notes (attached)
Writers will be expected to produce the following:
- Text with both student and teacher materials. (See attached sample work in progress)
- Teacher’s notes for each activity explaining how to do the activity in class
- Notes on extension activities. These are suggestions to the teacher on how to review the activity or extend it in class.
- Descriptions or example images for any picture or diagram needed
The text materials should include:
- At least 1 listening script per goal
- A total of approximately 10 activities per goal
- Grammar point explanations (Approximately one per goal)
- Culture point explanations (Approximately one per unit)
Writers will not be expected to do any formatting or layout beyond very basic points such as fonts and the order of items in activities. Writers will also not be expected to provide final photos or diagrams that will be used in the text. All photos and diagrams will be purchased during layout.
In addition to time spent producing materials writers should plan on about 1 hour of meeting time with the text editor. A 30 minute meeting will be needed at the beginning of the writing to discuss the unit topic, goals and approach to take. After a first draft has been submitted another 30 minute meeting will be needed to discuss changes to the materials for the final draft. The meetings will be done via Skype. Our editors are located in Japan and will be available 8:00am - 11:00am and 2:00pm - 4:00pm JST for meetings. Any meetings outside of those times are only with the consent of the editor.