We’re a small team looking for a cloud database and automation specialist to work closely with us to help transition away from a dedicated environment to Postgres on AWS RDS. You will have a great of influence on the direction of the project whilst working in collaboration directly with the production team.
The work is planned to be spread over May to September 2018 at roughly 2 days per week.
You will need to be able to attend online meetings on a regular basis.
Meetings will be based on a London timezone working day, however we are flexible in terms of working hours and location.
For this project, you will have recent experience working with Postgres in the context of AWS RDS and more specifically with the following:
- Scripted setup of public-access Postgres databases (with necessary networking and security)
- Backup generation and verification
- Scripted backup restoration from both local and off-site sources
- Scripted end-to-end DR simulation
- Intelligent tear-down of resources when no longer required
- Server-side configuration and authentication security
- Configuration (and maintenance) of encryption at rest
- Setup logging/monitoring (e.g. slow query monitoring)
- Scripted up-scaling of databases (on-demand)
- Scripted upgrades of database engine version
In each case, you will be able to offer advice on best practices, including on related high-level areas such as:
- Database resource requirements
- Handling of service maintenance windows
- Handling of automated recovery (fail-over and automated feedback) between e.g. availability regions