I am looking for a experienced Business Analyst to assess a simple business situation. I need a Business Analyst to construct a Product Backlog based on your assessment in Azure DevOps, formerly known as VSTS.
Theme: Automotive Repair Planner Suite Product Upgrade
Automotive Repair Planner (ARP) is a fictional company that creates software to help plan and organize the everyday workflow of auto repair shops around America. ARP’s flagship software is called Automotive Repair Planner Suite (ARPS).
Presently, the ARPS architecture consists of an on-premise SQL Server database allowing each terminal in the various shops to connect to it directly. ARPS is a Microsoft WPF desktop application that is installed on-site at the client’s shop. ARPS consists of several key pieces of functionality:
· Customer Management, including scheduling
· Employee Management, including time tracking and scheduling
· Job notes and receipts which allows the mechanics to leave notes about a specific job
Clients have recently expressed a desire for an updated version (V2) of the product migrating it to the cloud and allowing for a mobile application that can be used off-premise.
Technical Details of ARPSv2:
The functional requirements consist of the following:
· ARPS v2 will move the on-premise SQL Server database to Azure for cloud hosting, that is, into an Azure cloud-hosted SQL Server database.
· ARPS V2 will sit behind an Azure hosted Web API.
· The legacy WPF application will be migrated to a MVVM pattern.
· The view models will then be used for the existing WPF application, in addition to, a mobile application.
· User Authentication will occur in Azure on hosted Active Directory.
ARPS V2 Development Team Details:
The current APR development team consists of 4 developers divided into 2 teams. Even though the developers are split into teams, they all have a good understanding of the current ARPS implementation. The details of the two teams are as follows:
· Database and middle-tier team: this team has 2 developers who manage and maintain the database and underlying business logic.
· WPF/Front End Team: this team has 2 developers who maintain the WPF including the xaml.
The company has an IT/Help desk employee. The company is small enough that is has a single employee who acts as both dev-ops and QA tester.
The Business Team consists of the following:
· The company CEO is also the founder. Most of her time is spent outside of the office on trips selling the product.
· There is a single Development Manager who is hands-off when it comes to team oversight, but he’d like to have access to reporting on upcoming features.
· The COO knows the product very well and spends a lot of time working with it. She also is in the office often and work closely with the Development Manager, as well as, the development teams.
Candidate Assignment for this Exercise:
1. Build out a user backlog in the tool of your choice (Azure DevOps (formerly VSTS), Jira, etc.). The backlog should support multiple teams with their own sprints. The backlog should be comprised of epics, features, and user stories. Feel free to include user acceptance criteria.
2. Identify the next steps you would take after creating the backlog.