Planitt is looking to hire a full-time python developer to work with some of our core codebase.
Our back end is built on python, with a light django framework, it encompasses about 10,000~ lines of code and the same again in unit tests. This is contained in a git repository on a development server, and is mirrored on staging and live servers. Postgresql is used as the core database, with redis for caching and real-time feed creation. We are actively implementing and considering other technologies, including pusher and neo4j, and such fundamental changes to the system are a continual part of our development process in which you would be expected to play a large part.
* You have a strong background in Python, with several years programming experience and a desire to get involved in a large and dynamic project.
* You may have worked with redis/django/postgresql before but, more importantly, are flexible and enjoy learning and working with new technologies.
* You are comfortable reading, extending and refactoring other people's code.
* You write beautifully commented, literate and well-laid out code.
* You believe that there is no substitute for getting it right the first time, but aren't scared of refactoring.
* You are comfortable writing unit tests and have followed a test-driven development style before.
As a trial project, we'd like you to read and understand our current codebase and refactor a part of it.
Currently all database calls that affect a user create redis entries in that user's personal feed. We would like this to be updated so that, instead, entries are created in the feeds of all related users.
A full spec will be provided on acceptance.
Please include links to literate, well-commented code you have written, and a description of your previous experience with python, unit testing and adapting to new technologies. Previous use of git is helpful but not required.
Please note, whilst this is a bid for the trial project, should we be impressed with your work there are several full and part-time positions available for the foreseeable future. Please only bid if you would be interested in working on this project (full or part-time) for at least the next three months.
* * *This broadcast message was sent to all bidders on Tuesday Nov 22, 2011 9:41:51 AM:
Thanks for all your bids, we're just finishing up talks with a couple of developers and will get in touch shortly.